In our effort to enhance patient and healthcare provider safety, last year Centegra Health System (CHS) made the influenza vaccination mandatory for all Associates. The program was a huge success in vaccinating over 95% of associates. This season all physicians are expected to participate in this Medical Executive Committee (MEC) approved initiative to increase our patient safety.
Research shows that vaccination is the single most important measure for reducing the impact of influenza not only on ourselves but our community as well. It is therefore our responsibility as healthcare workers to do the right thing for our patients. The Center for Disease Control, IDPH and The Joint Commission both highly recommend flu shots for all health care workers and many progressive healthcare organizations both locally and nationally have seen positive outcomes as a result of mandatory flu shot programs.
CHS requires all associates, physicians, volunteers, students, clinical contract workers, and identified vendors to receive an influenza vaccination in order to protect patients, Associates, family members, and the community from influenza. Exceptions will only be granted for medical conditions and religious beliefs. Both will require written documentation. Associates previously granted exemptions are required to complete a exemption renewal. Please review the updated CHS Influenza Immunization Program policy for details.
In that regard we are offering influenza vaccinations free to all Physicians, Licensed Independent Practitioners, Associates, volunteers, and students. Please review the attached poster detailing the vaccination schedule.
If you will be receiving your vaccination through your practice we will need you to complete the attached form and submit it to the Medical Staff Office.
- Prevention and Control of Seasonal Influenza with Vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices — United States, 2013–2014
- Influenza Vaccination Coverage Among Health-Care Personnel — United States, 2012–13 Influenza Season
CDC MMWR September 27, 2013 / 62(38);781–786
- Fluvax View National Influenza Vaccination Converage
- List of medical organizations that approve mandatory vaccination of healthcare workers
- State of New York makes vaccination of healthcare workers mandatory
- Preventinfluenza.org – information for healthcare worker vaccination